Monday, September 22, 2008

Robot Capable of Balancing a Ball

The following video which I found in the internet, shows a robot bouncing a ball on a plate. This apparently extraordinary feat was achieved by Francesco Prosperi at the Sant'Anna School for Advanced Studies of Pisa, Italy. The tray on which the board is being balanced is nothing but a FLEX board which is equipped with micro controllers and sensors to track the position of the ball and feed it to the CPU underneath.

I guess if robots are capable of balancing balls now, their reflexes will soon be fast enough for mimicking human walking and gestures. Lets wait for that now. Personally I have shown this around to a lot of my fellow students who are either working in or are interested in robotics. While almost all of them agreed that this was quite possible theoretically, but none had so far seen something this accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you !